Positive feelings about writing?

 

It seems to me it is critical thinking and writing together that go to make up good thoughtful writing. The thing about writing is that there are many reasons for writing. In my art school education we were taught how to write a biography for art shows and application forms for funding bids. How to think about a project we wanted to make and write a proposal for it. The writing had a practical purpose and described practical actions.

 

I found abstract theoretical writing harder. At A level, I was very motivated by my studies in theology. Our problem was in the 1980s no internet to look stuff up and no contemporary journals to help our essays. No contemporary writing on theology in the reference library we used to frequent and the dusty old books there written over a thousand years ago some of them. Jerome and Peake. Phew. Now when I think about research I begin with the internet and quickly deep dive into the academic library catalogue at our university for up to date journal articles on education, criticality, and practice based research.

 

I was excited about writing then but my direction was off. My signposting opaque and the sat-nav had not been invented. Part of being excited about writing is for me being able to share my ideas, the things I have seen and read about the subject. Being part of the conversation, actually having something to say. Because in the past I was mute. Unable even to construct a question. I had thoughts of course. My thoughts always seemed to be out of step with what others were saying. Now I realise that having different ideas  is part of dialogue, that we do not all think the same or come from the same place. Each one of us has something to say about this world and our experience of it and in it. Critical thinking and writing gives me confidence to know I have a question and that it isn’t stupid. I hope that is something I can pass on to my students and readers. We can all  be part of the big conversations in life, critical thinking and writing is a way of accessing and articulating our ideas. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog