Common elements in my negative feelings about writing

Oh wow its not often I can go on a moan fest, let it rip, and let it all out. Negative feelings about writing. Doubt – I’m not good enough to do this, I’m not expert enough in the field of academic writing. I had the wrong training in art and design with a bit of academia tacked on the end so I fee unprepared. This critical incident vignette demonstrates the beginning of negativity towards writing. Sitting on the scratchy coconut matting in primary school, in our class we had glass jars of things to count, beads, dog biscuits, ect. Of course, I ate a dog biscuit, it was really dusty and stale. I had decided to be silent that year. In class 4, making me about 7. I had decided that grown-ups were stupid. They asked ridiculous question that I couldn’t answer like “why can’t you tell the time” or “have you got a smile for us love?” “what’s going on in that head of yours?” I decided the best policy was elective mutism. That way I couldn’t be wrong. This landed me in the special educational needs class which excused me from all maths, reading and writing. The class met in the dinner room daily, with the catering staff. The ladies were busy preparing lunch so we could draw or just sit there. They let us do little jobs like lay the tables, fill the water jugs, put the glasses out. I vastly preferred this to the classroom.

A few years later, they tried again with reading but the books had narratives I didn’t relate to and somehow I slipped through the net. At home, we had fairy tale books Greek mythology. As my parents were crafts people, our books always had exquisite drawings and illustrations. We also had many art books on medieval icons, kimonos, archaeological hordes of Roman and Egyptian treasures. I spent a lot of time outside investigating the ponds and parks, collecting and drawing leaves and berries, memorising the names of plants and trees. I liked poetry, listening to the rhythm of the words and story time, listening to tall tales and especially singing. I never wrote if could draw. I never read if I could listen instead.

Many years later, I discovered I was dyslexic. All the little pieces fell into place and I understood what my barriers to learning had been. Slow reading, slower processing of large chunks of text. Poor short-term memory, only able to hold 3 things in my mind at a time, not wired for multitasking. Concept of spans of time and telling the time, hard to read. these things together allotted me a disliking for writing.

Belcher, W. L. (2019) Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks, Second Edition: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing), Chicago and London: Chicago University Press. p.16



Pictures Wiki Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?cirrusUserTesting=control&search=fall+forest&title=Special%3ASearch&go=Go&ns0=1&ns6=1&ns12=1&ns14=1&ns100=1&ns106=1
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog